Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Canoe Dream

         This is a dream I had last night. I like to keep track of my dreams. Dreams are the only purely random thing my mind will ever think up. As creative as I try to be, I do my best randomness in my sleep. Dreams might not be as fun or exciting as something I could concoct deliberately, but I like the rawness.
         It was a very dark night. My wife and I put a small canoe in the ocean and I got in it. The water was only about four feet deep, because we were near the shore. Actually, there wasn’t a shore. There was a huge wall where the shore would have been. The dark waves of the ocean lapped against the side of a huge industrial building.
         The only colors were black and dark green. My wife wadded in the water, next to the huge industrial building, and steadied the canoe as I tried to maneuver it. The canoe was much too small for me, almost like a toy instead of a real canoe, and it filled with water; although it didn’t totally sink. The ores were too small as well and there wasn’t anywhere to balance them or hook them on the canoe. I was quite frustrated.
         I think my wife may have used the canoe too, but it didn’t sink when she used it because she is not as heavy as I am. After we were done in the water, I wanted to have sex on the beach, but she refused. Each of us took one end of the canoe and carried it up a small, dark, sandy beach to where we had parked the car. Two German Shepard dogs appeared and started to snip at me while I carried the canoe. One of the dogs latched onto my forearm and stayed there, but didn’t really bite down. I dropped the canoe and picked up a 2x4 piece of wood and threatened to smash the dog with it. My wife was scared and told me to do it, but I couldn’t for some reason.
         Somehow we got back to the car, which was a red 1980s four-door BMW. The two big dogs were still barking at us, but stayed a few feet away. My wife and I hooked the canoe to the top of the car and I noticed my infant son was in his car seat in the backseat. It became very windy. I opened the driver’s door and a small dog jumped out of the car onto my chest and started to bite my face. I tore him from my face and flung him into the darkness. I heard him land on the ground and immediately start running back to the car. I quickly got in the car… and then I woke up.




UPDATE: I briefly researched this dream and according to http://www.essortment.com/lifestyle/dreaminterpreta_sdnj.htm, “green most often symbolizes a need for healing, balance and harmony” and “black may indicate anxiety, anger, guilt or resentment.” and red “is one of the most intense hues and in dreams represents passion, anger, aggression and heat.”

No comments: