Friday, November 16, 2007

Parking Meter



        This parking meter represents another step toward a fully automated society and the destruction of the human race. If they (the Government, corporations, etc.) can replace you with a machine, they will.
        It started a long time ago in the manufacturing industry, people were replaced by machines. Make no mistake: corporations only care about their bottom line. They don’t care about the individuals who work for them and they don’t care about the economy as a whole, unless the economic tide affects them directly. Some corporations claim they care about keeping products affordable for their customers. That’s almost as sick as the advertisements they cram into your brain every day. When was the last time you noticed prices going down or even staying the same? They try to blame higher prices on inflation, overhead, “quality control”, or whatever, but the truth is, prices go up because of greed, greed on the part of corporations, and greed on the part of consumers. The consumer always gets screwed; if you’ve ever bought anything, you know this by now. 10% of the population controls 90% of the money. You and I are glorified slaves. My real concern, regarding what I call The Robotic Revolution, is not money.
         People are quite egotistical to start with. Many people think they are always right and believe they are better than everyone else. People are also incredibly entitled. Where do these gross miscalculations of importance originate from? I can’t say for sure, but I do know that I see it every single day. People walk it, drive it, talk it, and show it in their actions. If accused, some would deny any feelings of superiority, because it goes against their overblown self image. Most people don’t even care. And that’s where my real concern is. Automation eliminates human contact and interaction. It promotes self-indulgence and nurtures self-centeredness. Automation leads to demoralization, lack of values, and lack of social imagination. We will end up with entire generations who don’t know how to relate. Maybe they are already here. I believe this is only the beginning. Don’t be fooled by advances in electronic communications. Text messaging and social networking websites don’t exactly fill the void, they replace it with a cheap imitation.
        So, excuse me if I don’t feel like using my credit card at a parking meter and then receiving a text message when my time is running out. The trouble is, someday I will be forced to use it. Just like how I’ve been forced to use the self check-out at Home Depot. Am I the only one who thinks having a robotic camera take pictures of my license plate when the time runs out on my parking meter is not right? Where’s the life in that? What about the part where you see the meter-maid, sprint toward the car, and hope you get there first. What about the personal interaction, where you try to talk yourself out of the ticket. What about the simple thrill of being able to park illegally and hopping you don’t get caught? Where do these learning experiences go when an automatic parking meter is installed?
        The solution for illegal immigrants is not to build a wall. The solution for teen pregnancy is not to hand out contraceptives at school. The solution for stopping crime is not to add more police. These are merely reactions to existing problems. This world’s solutions start with you, by how you act, how you relate, and how you raise your kids.
        Honestly, I believe it is too late. I believe the world will continue to spin out of control until the day it is destroyed. I will not go down without a fight. I will not bend to the ways of a broken planet. Others will continue to live however they choose. I truly believe they will get what they deserve- Garbage in, garbage out.
        Next time you use a self check-out, pay at the pump, use the ATM, send a text message, or even park your car in Vancouver, remember the price you are paying for your added convenience.

No comments: