Monday, August 6, 2007

Five Steps

    There were only five steps left. Had I only taken the time to double check my books or not stopped to talk with the professor, I wouldn't be here. No time for anger I suppose. Anger seems silly now. It all seemed silly now. I had fallen hard and twisted my arm in an unnatural angle. Gun shots continued to ring in the air with violence, further away now with no more clout than a cap-gun. Shock rendered me numb, thankfully. Judging from the intense thrust I'd received, added to my fall, I should be in a considerable amount of pain. I never imagined myself as a gunshot victim wishing for more pain, but life is like that sometimes. My view was less than spectacular, a close-up of cold stone and a chewed piece of gum. "I want to see the sky," I prayed out loud. "Just one more time, I want to see the sky." I aimlessly moved my arm around in a vain attempt to summon help. My arm tired quickly. Blood pooled around my face and a shiver rolled though me. The last drops of adrenaline rushed though my system and darkness followed. I pictured the old stone staircase. I had heard the shots behind me and bolted up the stairs. Five more steps and I probably would have been safe. There were only five steps left.

No comments: