Monday, August 6, 2007

In my mind Vol. 1

     You walked into my home wearing a long black coat and bright white smile. With a monkey on my lap and a bag of chips, I didn't know what to say. I improvised. Luckily speling doesn't mater I thought.
     "Do evil things," you whispered.
     I was stuck in third gear, but then again, if third gear is all you have, I guess you're not really stuck. The sky was an odd shade of green and the children were gone. Should I play dead or run for my life?
     "You chose poorly," was all you could say; encroaching. Yes, you heard me right.
     Ripping a hole and throwing it all away again, the trees bowed down and the earth shook apprehensively. I wouldn't be afraid of the dark if I were blind. I closed my eyes and peered at the world I'd left behind. Quite the view.
     "Where are you taking me?"
     Beasts of various statures populated the once desolated landscape. Some wore masks. Some stood firm. Others ran from me. I attempted to read your expression, but was distracted by the spectacle evolving in the distance. Something was approaching. Slowly and steadily it traversed the hills and valleys, disappearing, reemerging, closer and closer. Metronomes couldn't have kept better time.
     "This is for you," you spoke sharply. My body ached vehemently. "Understanding is not the most important facet of wisdom. Prove nothing and live better. Do not try to explain what you have seen. They will not believe you. Go now, and take what I have given you."
     The way is long and difficult, but in the pain there is joy and righteousness. When and where? Eat it, don't eat it. Kill or be killed. Believe almost nothing and create your own plain. Invitations go unanswered. This is the way it must be.
     Years had passed, yet there we stood. Back home again. The monkey bit me and I shoved it from my lap. To this day, the floor bears his mark.
     "Someday you will suffer for what you have shown me," I said.
     Your smile faded. Fingers to fangs and eyes to pearls, your coat burned bright white. My hand protected my face but not my heart. Windows rattled in their sashes as you spoke one last time. You knew the words could never be written. I remember every syllable.
     Alone, yet never alone, I collapsed to the floor. The smell of countless dead lingered offensively. Again I saw the hills and valleys. Again I witnessed the beasts. Now, however, they all stood silently, naked in the heated field. The thing that had approached with such ferocity before was only a child now, my child. He greeted me with a smile and I returned the gesture.

No comments: